Tuesday, August 29

Hmmm.


Brief updates first: Ms. Marigold has been finished for a little while, but I haven't gotten around to the photo documentation. Jess is awaiting buttons, although I'm lagging on that one because I am not at all pleased with the neckline (too wide) and collar (too short). Also, months and months ago, I surreptitiously knit the Counterpane Carpet bag from Handknit Holidays. Two nights ago I finally seamed it and pinned the lining in place. At this rate, the poor lining won't be sewn in until Thanksgiving. I've started Rusted Root out of some Butterfly mercerized cotton in a lovely eggplant color that has been languishing in my stash for almost as long as the stash has existed. I love the way it is knitting up (I'll admit it--I'm such a sucker for a good cotton yarn. Even though I love merino, it's usually too hot for me to wear).

Meanwhile, I have tens of projects scrambling for a prime spot at the top of my fall to-knit last. I have some cherry red Cascade 220 for Forecast, the chocolate Cotton Glace forAgnes, and quite a bit of old, new, and blue (seriously, I have non-purposefully accumulated mostly lace yarns in the blue family) laceweight for IK's Swallowtail Shawl and Trellis scarf, and the Lotus Blossom Shawl, among other possibilities.

However, the yarn that is currently foremost in my brain is this lovely stuff that I bought last year at Rheinbeck:

100_0074

It's from Ellen's Half-Pint Farm, and it's soft and cozy and in a different kind of palette than I normally choose. I also am not usually a fan of variegated sweaters, but something about this yarn makes me eschew that habitual stance. I'm thinking something simple with few frills, easy and relaxed, so that the yarn can be the main design element. The yarn and an asymmetrical shape. I think I've narrowed it down to two patterns. This one from Berroco, possibly with a different stitch pattern at the collar:
kyra_op

or, the Ram's Horn Jacket from Knitting Nature:
knittingnature

There are obvious similarities between them, but at this point I'm leaning toward the second--I prefer the knitted hems to the ribbed bands, I like that the asymmetry extends to the collar shape, and in general, I feel like the Knitting Nature design is a bit funkier and more unusual.

What do you think?

*Edited to add: So the hank of yarn I have is pretty huge, but I stupidly lost the band for it and didn't know the yardage. Until I did a little research and found out that I don't think I have enough for the Ram's Hown Jacket (like, I'm several hundred yards short). Especially since I would have to add some serious length to the sleeves and body, since it seems to be kind of a short-girl sweater. This is very sad. Perhaps I will think of something else.

Anyone know of any similar patterns? For a floppy, cozy little asymmetrical cardigan?

5 Comments:

Blogger amylovie said...

I like the second one the best.

Amy

4:15 PM, August 29, 2006  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I lurve the ram's horn jacket - the Knitting Nature book is so fab. and, erm, what is that model in the Berocco photo doing, exactly??

6:34 PM, August 29, 2006  
Anonymous yahaira said...

ooo go for the rams horn jacket! that is my favorite one from the book, this way I can knit vicariously through you ; )

6:40 PM, August 29, 2006  
Anonymous janine said...

Any chance you could get a co-ordinating solid to match that yarn? I think the Rams horn jacket could look quite cool with a plain coloured collar over the variegated body. Just a suggestion :-)

3:48 AM, August 30, 2006  
Blogger littlecindy said...

i'm thinking of doing the hemming in a different color than the body as well cuz i have cascade but not enough for the whole thing.

8:48 PM, November 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home