Monday, July 17

A hint no longer


Remember this?
100_0729

One of my stashbusting efforts (modeled in the freezer aisle):
Minisweater
Pattern: Everyone knows it. Everyone loves it. It's the Minisweater
from Glampyre.You've probably made one. Heck, I've even made one. (The inexperienced knitter in me didn't stop to calculate that cropped, short-sleeve sweater + 100% wool would not equal weatherappropriate fun in that first attempt. See previous post for my rant about project-fiber compatibility.)
Yarn: The sadly discontinued Lion Brand Cotton Ease, about 1.75 skeins. I think the color is called Blue Popscicle, or something like that. It is definitely a color that will stain your tongue.
Needles: Addi Turbo 5.0 mm (US 8)
Modifications: A few. I made up a little stitch pattern--basically stockinette with staggered purls; I say I made it up only because I figured it out on my own, but I'm sure it exists elsewhere in patterns and/or stitch dictionaries. It's kind of a no-brainer in terms of stitches, but it created exactly the kind of dotted texture I was going for. It reminds me of swiss-dot fabric, which is a special love of mine. I used seed-stitch instead of garter for the edging, because I thought it matched the purl dots better. I also made the sleeves more cap-like by knitting fewer rows after separating the sleeve stitches from the body. Finally, and obviously, I made it a wrap-around sweater instead of closing it with a button. I simply crocheted two long chains with yarn doubled and sewed them to each of the fronts. (I wanted the ties to be long enough to wrap around and tie in the front).

Et voila. Easy-peasy knitting that took me less than a week.

12 Comments:

Blogger Christie said...

I've been meaning to make that pattern for the longest...yours is so cute! I love the on location photo shoot, the color and the mods. The seed stitch was a great choice. Wonderful job!

1:42 AM, July 17, 2006  
Blogger Rain said...

I love your modifications to it, especially in the stitches used. The colour is fantastic.

5:13 AM, July 17, 2006  
Blogger bradyphrenia said...

i love it! i have some blue sky cotton that i wanted to use to make another minisweater and i might have to steal your mods. thanks for the inspiration!

11:29 AM, July 17, 2006  
Blogger Erica B. said...

I love what you did with your minisweater! Fab!

1:06 PM, July 17, 2006  
Blogger Nonnahs said...

Very pretty! The modifications you made really add a lot of character to the sweater.

1:58 PM, July 17, 2006  
Blogger dlittlegarden said...

Terrific! I love the shorter sleeve and the dotted pattern.

6:45 PM, July 17, 2006  
Blogger amylovie said...

It looks marvelous on you. That color is one of my favs.

Amy

11:04 AM, July 18, 2006  
Anonymous Hilari said...

It's fabulous! Love the wraparound!

2:54 AM, July 20, 2006  
Blogger Lolly said...

Very nice modifications - I like your version a lot! :)

12:31 PM, July 20, 2006  
Blogger iSeL said...

It's really pretty. I love the purl stitch effect.

7:46 AM, July 22, 2006  
Blogger keepitkiller said...

i just printed off the pattern, but wasn't sure if i should do it. after seeing your modifications i am inspired. yours looks awesome.

5:38 PM, July 22, 2006  
Blogger juicyknits said...

Great colour and cool modifications. Well done! I adore it.

1:29 PM, May 18, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home