Monday, April 10

In lieu of

First, thanks so much for all the lovely comments about my Somewhat Cowl. It makes a gal blush in places that are shown off to their best advantage in her new sweater. I guess there's nothing like a finished project to bring the lurkers out of hiding, huh?

Anyway, I've been uncharacteristically indecisive about new projects to take on. (It's too bad sarcasm is poorly conveyed in writing. If only there were a way to illustrate sarcasm dripping off of the words of that sentence. I am known among my friends for avoiding definitive decision-making.) In life, whenever I get stuck about a particular choice, or I don't really know how to start something, I almost always fall back on the same old trick: organization. Can't move forward? That's ok; you can tidy things up as long as you're stuck here.

100_0500 100_0498
100_0494

I know that the Stash-flashing happened all across the internet last week, but I've always done things at my own pace. Besides, I don't think of this so much as flashing as I do spring cleaning. In a fit of organization-fever, I dumped all of my yarns and needles and assorted knitting accoutrements on the floor of my living room. It was a yarn-splosion. It's really a good thing my husband is such a patient man. I got rid of the stuff I'll never use. That's right, got rid; perhaps I should have issued a warning for the faint of heart. But you know how you buy a bunch of single skeins of crappy stuff when you first start knitting? Because you don't know any better? I'm past the point of pretending I'll ever find a use for them. I also inventoried everything in a pretty little notebook, and included all the yarn details and project possibilities. Really, this was kind of an excuse to use a pretty little notebook. I'm an absolute sucker for them. Then I packed everything away as neatly as possible. There's another big basketful that's not captured in photos, but you get the idea.

And what's that in my newly Spartan project basket? I'm glad you asked.

100_0486

This is just a little spring cardigan I'm working on. The yarn is Berroco Softwist, which is pretty nice. I like the sheen and I love the color. It's my own design: just a top-down raglan, with puffy sleeves, deep ribbing, a little ruffle detail, and perhaps a tie at the waist. Dripping with, in this case, sugar, not sarcasm. But not so much sugar that you'll get a cavity. Just enough to sate your sweet tooth.

* * * * * *
So, new Knitty, eh? I can't say I'm especially thrilled with the projects in this issue. I'm not sure how I feel about Mesilla; I really like the shape of it, with the square neckline and the darts. I even kind of like the embroidered circles. I think it's the colors. They are obviously very influenced by the Southwest, and I've never EVER enjoyed Southwestern-style design. Nautie is adorable, and Hedera is a lovely pattern. It's only edging me ever closer to that fateful and inevitable day when I throw caution to the wind and give sock-knitting the old college try. Other than that, though, I'm feeling pretty feh about most of the patterns. Oh well. They can't all be for everyone, right?

6 Comments:

Blogger goodkarma said...

That Soft Twist is a beautiful color! I can't wait to see your latest creation emerge.

7:53 PM, April 10, 2006  
Blogger Christie said...

That color is so pretty! I'm excited to see what you come up with.

I wasn't extremely thrilled with Knitty either. Mesilla is cute, but just not me.

7:56 PM, April 10, 2006  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I like Hedera too - but I agree, it's pretty much the only interesting pattern in a sort of meh issue.

11:33 PM, April 10, 2006  
Blogger amylovie said...

Your design sounds fantastic. I'll look forward to seeing it complete.

Amy

8:02 AM, April 11, 2006  
Blogger Silvia said...

I'm one of your SC fans- seeing convinced me that I wanted to make it. I especially liked your side decreases. I'm making my SC now and it could use some waist shaping. Unfortunately, I'm not good at improvising in my knitting. (actually i'm scared to improvise...) Would you mind sharing how you did your shaping?

11:56 AM, April 11, 2006  
Blogger carrie said...

love the yarn for your new cardigan -- great sheen. look forward to seeing how it shapes up.

12:51 PM, April 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home