Tuesday, March 28

Happy Blogday

Well, it's official. This little blog is one year old today. And look how far we've come. We're not just celebrating first steps and the wide world of solid foods here at mimsy. No, we are going all out with an FO. Say hello to my somewhat Somewhat Cowl.

100_0471

100_0472

100_04741 100_0479
(Sorry, she's a bit of a ham.)

Pattern: Somewhat Cowl by Knit and Tonic Wendy
Yarn: Louet Gems Opal, superwash merino, about 4.5 skeins (I actually have 1.5 leftover--perhaps for socks?) I am in serious love with this yarn.
Needles: This project was an orgy of needles (hmmm, wonder what type of Google hits that might inspire). Let's see, for the body I used US 5s, both custom-sharpened Clovers and Susan Bates Silvalumes. The bottom ribbing was done with US 4 Susan Bates Quicksilvers. The sleeves were magic-looped on US 5 Inoxes, and US 4 Addis. And the neck ribbing was done on US 2 Quicksilvers. This, however, was not on purpose. Even though I thought to myself, gee these needles seem small for 4s, I never bothered to check them out because it didn't even occur to me that the 2s might have snuck into my knitting basket in the first place. There's nothing like making that 6 inches of 2x2 ribbing last as long as humanly possible, I guess.

Pattern Notes: I did fewer armhole increases than indicated to prevent baggy-gappiness. That, and eliminating the cast-on stitches when I joined under the arms really helped. Also, I worked a series of paired decreases on both sides so that the sweater would taper in at the waist, aiding in the illusion of that perfect, sweater-girl silhouette. You can see the mock seam that they created in the last picture above. I didn't bother doing an matching increases below the waist, and I like the way it looks. I increased the body length by about three inches and the sleeves by 1.5.

The biggest alteration was to the cowl itself, and the reason I call this the somewhat-Somewhat Cowl. (Actually, I suppose my modifications make it more of a "Closer-to-Cowl-than-Somewhat.") As you can see, my neckline is folded outwards, as opposed to Wendy's, which is tacked down on the inside. Once I had finished all the knitting, I played around with several collar options. I had a weird bulge along the neckline on one side, either because I screwed up the increases at the very beginning or I was clumsy in the picking up of stitches. Either way, I wasn't sure that blocking alone would cure it. Folding the collar out, however, at least hid it. So that's what I did. I stitched it down in the front, but mostly it stays put because I pinned it in place while steam-blocking (my first steam-blocking experience, by the way. It may be my new favorite way to block.)

I adore this sweater. As soon as I weaved in the last end on Friday evening, I threw her on and jaunted off for pizza and beer. And, I wore her again today. I simply can't get enough.

See?
100_0475

41 Comments:

Blogger Christie said...

Happy 'Versary! And what a way to celebrate...with a beauty of a sweater...or cowl. The color is amazing!

4:22 PM, March 28, 2006  
Blogger Robin said...

Happy Blogiversary! One year - right on. Your somewhat cowl looks wonderful - I like your modifications, especially the waist shaping. Hang in there with the dissertation...

4:49 PM, March 28, 2006  
Blogger Zonda said...

That is so lovely! Great job on it!

5:07 PM, March 28, 2006  
Blogger Wendy said...

I love it! Cara, can I ask for a picture for the Garter Belt gallery?

I love that you did the waist decreases. I think the key with this sweater is to make it small enough (many people are making a size larger than they probably should!)

5:24 PM, March 28, 2006  
Blogger Wendy said...

...last comment from wendy at knit and tonic...blogger, for some reason, doesn't display my profile and I can't figure out a way around it!

5:24 PM, March 28, 2006  
Blogger Areli said...

So beautiful. I really like the changes you made and the color you chose.

7:48 PM, March 28, 2006  
Anonymous Sandra said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

8:49 PM, March 28, 2006  
Anonymous alena said...

truly lovely! i am making one now and hope mine turns out as beautiful. your photos are spurring me on to finish!

9:44 PM, March 28, 2006  
Anonymous sarah said...

ooooh, it looks fabulous, what a gorgeous color and the fit... to die for!!! go ahead, wear the crap out of this baby!

9:49 PM, March 28, 2006  
Blogger gleek said...

very fabulous!!! i wish i had done less increasing in the arm area but i think that i managed to get it under control with some underarm decreases. beautiful FO!

9:54 PM, March 28, 2006  
Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

Absolutely stunning!!! Beautiful work! It fits you perfectly, and it's a pretty color.

10:44 PM, March 28, 2006  
Blogger yahaira said...

aww Im glad it worked out! yes definitely much better without those extra stitches and a shorter raglan length

11:21 PM, March 28, 2006  
Anonymous isela said...

It looks lovely! The color of it is very nice too :)

1:53 AM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger Rain said...

It's gorgeous. It looks really classy and elegant and great on you.

2:58 AM, March 29, 2006  
Anonymous kris said...

happy blogiversary! what a fab way to celebrate - love it! beautiful colour and fit.

6:58 AM, March 29, 2006  
Anonymous Diana said...

Beautiful work on the somewhat cowl! I hope mine comes out as nice as yours :-)

7:36 AM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger Thea said...

looks great - I love how you did the neck and the mods really make it fit you perfectly!

7:49 AM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger Gina said...

Absolutely lovely!

8:01 AM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger Silvia said...

Great sweater. I'm starting it this weekend, and I'm going to include your decreases. Hope mine looks half as good.

8:18 AM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger yahaira said...

Im an idiot and didnt finish my comment doh!

it looks awesome on you! both the color and fit are perfect.

happy blog bday!

9:06 AM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger Terby said...

Fantastic! That style suits you really well. Happy blog anniversary, and good luck with the dissertation. I think the trick at this stage is just persisting and getting it done.

9:16 AM, March 29, 2006  
Anonymous Rachel said...

That is spectacular. This pattern was teetering on the fence between my potential projects list and my official to-knit list; your FO has given it a good hard push and I am now shopping for yarn online. It looks fantastic!

9:42 AM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger carrie said...

happy blog-o-versary! the sweater looks wonderful, just fantastic.

10:39 AM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger Heather said...

looks terrific...I love my cowl so much...you will get tons of wear out of it...

Love the green...great minds!

11:52 AM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger Erica B. said...

That is beautiful! Great job!

12:37 PM, March 29, 2006  
Anonymous Leah said...

Hi! Your sweater is beautiful!! You've done a great job with the fit, too. How much ease did you use? I am swatching for mine, and I would really like to avoid the baggy look. You mentioned at one point that you had negative ease based on you gauge...how much negative ease did you end up having?
Thanks!
Leah
leahbandstra@hotmail.com

12:47 PM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger kristen said...

Ahh i may be heading toward the land of bagginess as well! How did you do the waist shaping? Although I'm no Dolly Parton, my gauge is on and I'm actually making the sweater a size smaller than I should be, I still fear some shaping may be needed.

I think if you click on my name it'll send you to my email-- thanks!

2:13 PM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Gorgeous! Love that shade of green. (Does it match your chair?) Congrats and happy birthday!

6:21 PM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger Nonnahs said...

Gorgeous! Congratulations!

8:29 PM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger Beak-Knits said...

Happy BlogDay!

The Somewhat Cowl looks very snappy...I did a pair of socks in Louet Gems Opal right before Christmas. If I had to pick one yarn to use for the rest of time I think that would be it.

Great job!

10:14 PM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger goodkarma said...

Oh. Stunning. Perfect. Wouldn't change a single thing. In fact, I adore the fact that you added waist decreases, 'cause I know that I would need the very same thing.

11:18 PM, March 29, 2006  
Anonymous anna said...

GORGEOUS. i'm not surprised you've been wearing it so much, i wouldn't take it off!

4:38 AM, March 30, 2006  
Blogger lynnm said...

Love, Love, Love! That is beautiful. I think another project has been added to my to-do list.

4:10 PM, March 30, 2006  
Blogger KnitterMa said...

I think I'm gonna divorce my hubby and marry your sweater.

9:18 PM, April 02, 2006  
Blogger savannahchik said...

i just started the SC on friday and seeing yours is really getting me excited! yours looks fabulous.

7:31 PM, April 04, 2006  
Blogger amylovie said...

It looks AMAZING on you Cara! Wear it with pride.

Amy

8:12 AM, April 07, 2006  
Blogger VeeLove said...

Love it! It looks so great on you!

Oh and happy blog-versary!

10:25 PM, April 08, 2006  
Blogger Ruinwen said...

Beautiful cowl! It looks amazing on you!

Ruinwen
:)

5:43 AM, April 17, 2006  
Blogger msfortuknit said...

this is great!

11:51 AM, May 06, 2006  
Anonymous Tara said...

love love love the somewhat... am already digging through my stash to find the right yarn! Thanks!

6:46 PM, May 24, 2006  
Blogger Emily_PPP said...

nicest somewhat cowl I've seen : )

1:45 AM, November 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home